Even though the majority of church staff, as well as church planters in the United States, are bivocational (working both in and outside the church) there are few people talking about the why and how of bivocational ministry. The number of bivocational pastors is increasing rapidly, but the vast majority of training and conferences are led by people in “full-time” ministry, from large churches that have large budgets. We want to try to change the conversation.
Starting in January we are going to begin to offer several BiVO cohorts to encourage church planters and staff from existing churches to better understand the benefits and challenges to bivocational ministry. We also want to equip those who are already working full-time jobs that feel led to start fresh expressions of church.
In January we will start several regional cohorts by clustering people together in different parts of the country. Then in February we will start city specific cohorts in several cities, including Dallas, Chicago and Kansas City.
Possible Cohorts Participants:
- Bivocational Church Planters
- Bivocational Pastors & staff of existing churches
- People already working full-time but want to start something new
What is Involved With Each Cohort:
- Each cohort lasts 6 months
- Monthly Webinars with Hugh Halter and Brad Brisco
- Closed Facebook group page for peer-to-peer learning and additional resources
- 50% savings on registration for National BiVo conference; Aug 7-8th in Denver
- Cohort size: 8-12 per cohort
- Regional Cohorts: Starting January 15th REGISTER HERE by January 10th
- Dallas: Starting February 17th REGISTER HERE by February 10th
- Kansas City: Starting February 19th REGISTER HERE by February 16th
- Chicago: Starting February 17th REGISTER HERE by February 10th
Costs: $100 monthly ($600) or $500 up front payment
Requirements Before Cohort Begins:
- Complete online BiVo assessment HERE
- Read BiVO and Tangible Kingdom before first webinar
- Suggested readings: AND: The Gathered and Scattered Church, FLESH, The Missional Quest, and UnLeader
- Webinar 1 – What is our calling?
- Webinar 2 – What do we mean by church?
- Webinar 3 – Church as team
- Webinar 4 – The 5 “knacks” of BiVO ministry
- Webinar 5 – Where leaders spend their time
- Webinar 6 – Incarnational evangelism
Facilitators: Hugh Halter and Brad Brisco
Hugh is the national director of Missio focusing on church planting and renewal. Hugh has authored The Tangible Kingdom, AND: The Gathered and Scattered Church, TK Primer, FLESH, and BiVO. Hugh has planted two churches, both of which were bi-vocational stories. For a sample of Hugh speaking on the importance of bivocational ministry check out this short clip from the Sentralized conference.
Brad is currently the Church Planting Catalyst for a network of churches in Kansas City; where he recruits, trains and coaches church planters. He holds a doctorate in the area of missional ecclesiology; his doctoral thesis was on assisting existing congregations in transitioning in a missional direction. He serves on the National Leadership team for Forge America. He is the author of Missional Essentials, a twelve-week small group study guide, and The Missional Quest.
If you have questions about the cohorts you can email Brad at firstname.lastname@example.org